Sunday, February 24, 2008

Making Church Attractive


Here's a post from Wade Rogers' blog. His thoughts are spot on, so I thought that I would show them here. While they are not my thoughts, I whole-heartedly agree with them. You can find the link to his blog on the right.


Titus 2: 10 states, “…so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.”As a church we have to wrestle with the question, “Are we making Christ, and therefore the Church, attractive?” I think the first step is to list the things that make the Church unattractive. Here is my random personal list and I would love to hear from you.

Things that make the Church Unattractive…


  • Funeral music at a Sunday morning WORSHIP service

  • Disorganization

  • Half-hearted effort

  • Insider Christian jargon

  • Frowns

  • Gossip

  • Apathy towards children and youth ministry

  • Attending church when it’s convenient

  • A “What’s in it for me?” attitude

  • Pastor worship

  • Shallow prayers and prayer requests

  • Going through the motions

  • An unwillingness to implement change

  • When it is 2008 outside the church but 1958 inside the church (and sometimes 1858)
  • Legalism (man-made rules that the Bible doesn’t require)

  • Inward focus

  • A Maintenance mindset

    If you think of any additions send them along and I will add them!

No comments: