Friday, March 14, 2008

Why Me?

I've had the opportunity to read a lot of books, recently. Thus, I've had a lot of people engage me with a lot of different ideas. One thing that I have found is that it is fun to read books that make you think. In our ReFocus meetings, Genetta has us read some crazy stuff, not necessarily because the authors are correct in their thesis, but because they challenge you to think. Those types of books are great.


One interesting idea that has come up in a few of the books is the narcissistic view of many Christians. Thus, people say that, "Jesus died for me." People thank God "for all that you have done for me." We sing songs like, "I'll Fly Away" that talk about us blowing this joint the moment that we pass on. We talk about what the pastor does for me. We talk about how church meets my needs.

This post is simply question begging. It's more of an exercise in free-thinking than providing timeless truths of God's Word. Perhaps you'll dialogue with my thoughts. Perhaps you won't. Regardless, I'm thinking out loud and I hope you find something that engages you.

I know there are many narcissistic Christians. I know there are many selfless Christians. One name that immediately comes to mind in the latter category is Dr. Bob Black over at Southern Wesleyan University. We used to joke on campus that he was the definition of Wesleyan holiness. If you're going to be the butt of a few jokes, that's a good one. I remember when my first semester was complete, he called me a few days into my break (and his!). He had written out my entire plan for the next four semesters to ensure my graduation. My wife and I were very impressed. I did not have one professor at SWU that I couldn't stand. On the contrary, I dearly loved every one of them, but Dr. Black had a sort of compassion that I never had seen in somebody else. He was tough, but in a loving sort of way.

On the other hand, I've seen churches who have been rendered useless by the constant bickering and unwillingness to cooperate with others who have different opinions on how church should be done. I've seen an entire movement built on the idea that being a Christian means having access to God's material blessing. Lakewood Church in Houston, pastored by Joel Osteen, has 40,000+ members. His theology is that God blesses abundantly, meaning you will have all the material possessions that you want. This form of narcissism is at the extreme end of the spectrum.

The more moderate narcissist is found in many normal churches. This individual comes because they like the pastor's preaching, the worship team's music, the aesthetics of the sanctuary, the children's ministry, and the people that they worship with. If one or more of these things go away, then the person becomes disinterested and goes away.

This problem is not generational. The younger generation accuses the older generation of being too set in their ways, but the younger generation is not nearly as flexible as they would have you think. Thus, we are focused on what blesses me, what helps me grow, and what makes me happy. We gravitate to churches that are our style. We come to the Lord so that we may go to Heaven. Now, I'm not saying we should go to a church that is totally dysfunctional, but perhaps we should select a church that can use us for mission. Perhaps we should select a church where we can bless others, not where we can be blessed.

And in terms of our faith in God, let me ask you this: If there was no eternal life, would you still worship God? If you were to receive no reward from God for service to Him, would you work for Him? If you got nothing out of your pastor's sermons but were used in effective Kingdom building, would you still go? If you loved contemporary music, but the church really loved the hymns, would you still attend? These questions are not easy to answer, and I cannot pretend that I would respond in the affirmative to them. My prayer is, however, that God would allow me to. I don't want to serve God for me. I want Him to have all the glory, but I don't know if I want it badly enough, yet.

I've been reading a lot of Scripture dealing with the idea of living for others. I'm convinced that the Bible teaches the Christian to forget about self and live solely for others. I'm just not sure how that's done. I'm not that mature. Regardless, I know that it is God's will for me, for you, and for His entire Church.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, help us to always focus our lives toward your glory and not our own. Give us your heart, your desires. Help us to function as instruments of YOUR will in YOUR kingdom and not ours.
Thanks for the post, Kenny!

Anonymous said...

God, help us to keep you the top priority in our lives. Give us your heart, your desires. Help us to function as instruments of YOUR love to do YOUR will in YOUR kingdom, not any of our own.
Thanks for the post, Kenny!

Sam Hunley said...

OK, I understand your point when it comes to making sure that you select a Church where you will be effective for God and not just for yourself. However, if you don't choose a church where they use the worship music you prefer, doesn't that hinder you from worshiping properly? If its a church that uses the KJV and you simply cannot resonate with the wording, doesn't that hinder you from learning on Sundays?

I think that it is important to go to a place where they do things in a manner that does suit your needs because, otherwise, it is really easy to lose focus. I agree, we should be flexible because no church is going to be perfect for you, but if we totally ignore our own needs, we cannot fulfill the needs of others. For example, I have found that I am not comfortable with the style of worship at Episcopal Churches, I simply cannot get into a rhythm, so I end-up losing focus during the service and, therefore, effectiveness for Christ.

Kenny said...

Sam,

Those are some good questions. I'm glad you brought them up.

I guess the question that I'm asking is what is the balance between my needs and other's needs.

I asked about the pastor that a poor preacher. Is it bad to move to another church because I simply cannot understand the pastor's messages? I don't know. I guess that you could argue that if I were spiritually curious, then I would find other avenues of growth. Then again, should I have to?

What if the church doesn't jive with our theology? It doesn't mean that I have to believe it, but am I truly worshipping if I'm picking apart the churches theology?

What if the church doesn't have a nursery and doesn't like children in the sanctuary, yet I have a small child who is curious?

What is the purpose of church? Why do I attend? These questions must be answered before we get any deeper into the other questions that I have posed. Can I listen to music somewhere other than church? What about fellowship? What about learning? What about missional work? What about worship? Are these elements what church is for, or is it something else?

Again, this post, as well as my response to you is more free-thinking than presentation of any truth. I just figured it would be interesting to discuss.

Sam Hunley said...

Well the church service itself I would consider important. If you go to a church where you don't learn anything, don't get anything out of worship, and/or you are uncomfortable. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of you even going to that church?
If you worship fine on your own, you learn fine on your own, then why not work on your own? The church, as I understand it, is supposed to be a place of communal worship, communal learning, and communal service. If the setup of the church prevents you from participating in the communal aspects of all of these, then that is not where you need to be, and if you worship and learn well on your own, why not skip the whole church thing and go into a Christian volunteer organization?
You should be in the church that you are most effective, and if you are not able to participate in the community of the church, how could you ever be effective?

Scott said...

This type of thinking out loud is what the Church needs to engage herself in. This is for all of those who will not attend anywhere too.

Anonymous said...

Hello all. Just seeing if this works. Good comments Sam.